Friday, January 29, 2021

I Really Should Read This 2: From Hell by Alan Moore and Eddie Campbell

From Hell by Alan Moore and Eddie Campbell

1999, new color version 2020
This was a slow read for me, about a chapter a week for the past three months. Now that I've read the Eisner and Angeloume award winning book? It's good, but I don't exactly know what it was about in places. I feel a little like when I was reading literature for the first time in high school, needing to have the significance explained to me. The second half, when I had a better handle on the cast of characters, was a lot smoother to read though, and the appendix about the industry that Jack the Ripper has created was pretty interesting too.
It's a weird thing, to read a book about the Jack the Ripper murders, hypothesizing the method and motives, and then mix some witchcraft and magic into it. I know Moore is a believer in magic, but it's just a form of science fiction to me. It firmly makes this book a form of fiction, but he's gone to great lengths to base the story in known facts. Very weird stuff.
But it was good, it was compelling, and in places stomach churning. I probably will read it again in five or ten years.



No comments:

Post a Comment